“Scientifically speaking. . .how long would it take for the sugar to pass through a person’s body if this person ate 2 cinnamon roles, a slice of chocolate pie and a slice of german chocolate cake all in one sitting?”
His response?
“It sounds like you did something bad.”
Whenever someone asks me how’s pregnancy going, if I have any cravings yet, etc. my answer is always I feel great! (I really do.) and I have NO cravings. Well, my behavior over the past few days reveals that is a total lie!
For example. . .
Last Friday, I had this incredible craving for a strawberry milkshake. I wanted it soooo bad that I could practically taste it in my mouth. I would not go to bed until Hubby drove to Burger King and picked one up! Over the weekend, I secretly snacked on the Little Debbie snacks Hubby brings to lunch. Last night, Hubby made a root beer ice cream float and asked if I wanted to share. Of course I did. . . .but here’s the catch - I normally DON’T like root beer floats yet this was the best thing I had tasted ALL day.
Then to cap it all off, today I was invited to a pot luck lunch. Beef Brisquet, potato salad - the works! Then I got to the dessert table and I could NOT help myself!! I REALLY ate two cinnamon rolls, a slice of chocolate pie and a slice of german chocolate cake all in one sitting! How is it even possible that I had the appetite to consume that many sweets?! ESPECIALLY since I have the gestational diabetes test next week. (which is why I asked hubby my initial question)
I haven’t been weighing myself and I don’t even want to know how much this sugar craving has added in pounds. Next week, I think I may step on the scale backwards and tell the nurse to not even say the number out loud. If I’ve done a Tori Spelling - I don’t even want to know! (watch her reality show on Oxygen to understand the reference ;-) )
I am enjoying pregnancy though! When would I ever be able to fill a plate up with desserts and the people around me not bat an eyelash all because they’re thinking, “She’s pregnant.”

from left to right: Buddy, Flamey, Lizzie and Layla*
*This picture was taken the day after they were all groomed. Normally, Liz and Flame are big balls of fur and MUCH cuter.
As most people know, we have four dogs -Buddy, the 80lb, not so bright catahoula; Flamey, my baby and resident lunatic; Lizzie, the smart one; and, Layla, the sassy one, who’s not afraid of ANYTHING. Whenever people hear we have 4 dogs they cannot believe it and always wonder (out loud usually) How do you handle it?
We tell them our house is run like a dog military. If they’re being too rambunctious and we tell them to stop - they stop. If we’re doing something in the living room and want them out of the way, we say, “Kitchen!” and they’re in the kitchen. If we want them completely out of the way, we say, “Kennel!” and they hop in their kennels. Another thing most don’t believe unless they see it is during breakfast time. In the morning, we fill their food bowls and invite them inside to the kitchen. They are NOT allowed to eat until ALL 4 are sitting and making eye contact with the server. (usually Hubby) Keep in mind they are sitting with their food bowl directly in front of them so it takes alot of obedience and respect on their part. Once Hubby is satisfied he has their attention, he’ll say, “Go ahead!” and they dive in. (I’ll take video and post it on the blog one day.) We ADORE our pups and they adore us BUT they know who’s boss.
Yesterday, I decided to try something new. (and I wanted to prove something to all the people who make comments about us having a baby with 4 dogs in the house) I pulled my old cabbage patch doll, Elizabeth Marie, out of the closet and walked around with my new “baby.” I sang to her, pretended to feed her, burp her and put her down for a nap at the edge of the bed - COMPLETELY ignoring the dogs. This was all done to test the pups reactions.
Buddy? He could care less - wasn’t even interested in sniffing the doll. I don’t think he realized something was different.
Flamey? She was the MOST confused. She wasn’t interested in sniffing the doll but instead kept following me wherever I went. When I put the baby down for a nap she sat in the chair opposite the bed and kept staring at us, cocking her head to the side in confusion. You see, I kept calling the doll, my baby and I think Flamey was confused because I always call HER my baby. I’m not sure if this is a good or bad thing - so the cabbage patch doll will be coming out on a regular basis.
Lizzie? She was very interested in sniffing the doll. After I let her sniff its foot she walked away and went about her business.
Layla? She, like Liz, was very interested in sniffing the doll and after I let her Layla went on her merry way.
So, as expected, nothing out of the ordinary happened. I do plan to work on how I treat Flamey. It’s not her fault she was confused - its my fault. I’ve humanized and treated her like my little daughter and I have to switch my own behaviour and remember Flamey is a dog. It’ll be hard but has to be done. :*(
our e-mail address: theworldaccordingtomissj@gmail.com